We recently came across the Meetings & Conventions article that forecasts the top food trends of 2019, and while there are many that leave us counting down the days until 2019, there is one that leaves us saying “no, thank you,” and one that just makes us say “NO” (in all caps).
YES, we are counting down the days:
- Tea parties! Who doesn’t love a tea party?
- New cuts of steak! We’ve never met a cut of steak we didn’t like!
- Farm-to-table 2.0!
- Going out to eat!
- Mainstream vegetarianism! Ok, we love our meat (new cuts of steak making the YES list was a big clue), but veggie dishes can offer plenty of flavor too.
- Good and the greater good!
- Out with the old! Not that we don’t love our lemons, limes, kale, and honey (that could be the start of a great salad, by the way), but we can’t wait to see what chefs start to do with carrots, sweet potatoes, golden beets, and butternut squash.
- Dieticians as the new celebrity chefs! Yes! All food involves a choice – you can eat the 2,000 calorie heart attack on a plate that has little nutritional value, or you can have the most flavorful, filling, nutrient packed meal of your life for less calories and more satisfaction. It all starts with knowledge – and if more people are going to be knowledgeable about their food choices, bring it on!
No, thank you:
- Fermented foods – we love pickles as much as the next person and we know fermented food is a thing, but it’s not our thing (at least not yet).
- Bugs. We prefer to stay in the 20% of the world that doesn’t eat bugs.
Your turn – which one are you most looking forward to? Which is realistic and do you see as a definite part of your food and beverage planning for 2019? And, would you eat bugs if it was a trend?! Tell us on Linkedin or Facebook!